Ok, so we have all heard about detoxification and how great it is, but why is it so important? Does it really help our bodies or is it just another master scheme to get us to spend money? The answer is, yes, detoxification is a crucial component to achieving optimum health and should be done on a regular or quarterly basis. (1)
Why should we detoxify?
What goes in – must come out and our liver is working around the clock to remove that morning coffee, last night's’ wine and that delicious little muffin you just ate. Everything goes through the liver. Detoxification is compiled of many intricate and wondrous biochemical reactions to help rid your body of nasty toxin build up. Did you know that we are consistently detoxifying? Every bit of air we breathe, food we drink, meals we eat must be digested, put to good use or detoxified.
What our liver detoxifies each day:
- Metabolic end-waste
- Perfume and personal care products
- Washing detergents
- Food Pesticides and added hormones
- Pollutants and heavy metals
- Alcohol and Medications
- Food preservatives
- Paints and cleaning products
Who would have thought – we’re surrounded! These nasty substances can build up and guess where they are stored – your fat cells! Yikes!
Signs & Symptoms of Toxicity:
- Dry skin, eczema or acne
- Sinus congestion, irritated eyes or a runny nose
- Headaches, neck pain, joint or back pain
- Constipation, bloating or flatulence
- Inability to lose weight
- Insomnia, fatigue, depression, and irritability
- Frequent infections or allergic reactions
- Bad breath or body odour
How does it work?
Put simply, the liver has a 2 phase protocol:
Phase 1: Our body stimulates a variety of biochemical reactions to reduce the toxic compound into a less harmful and more soluble molecule. Free radicals are synthesised during these processes and must be excreted to avoid further damage in the body, which is why phase 2 is crucial.
Phase 2: The toxic chemicals bind with another substance allowing excretion to occur.
Top 10 Ways To Detoxify The Body:
- Eliminate all processed foods
- Eat all the colours of the rainbow with fresh organic fruit, vegetables and meats (this is why we are so passionate about nourishing food, so much goodness!
- Drink plenty of filtered water or herbal teas (I recommend something containing green tea, dandelion root and St. Mary’s thistle)
- Antioxidant rich foods such as berries and green leafy vegetables – I am in love with our GoodMix PondWater, which has amazing detoxification benefits (seriously!)
- Consuming raw juices and bone broths to obtain nutrients – Try our homemade broths
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol, tobacco, sugar and other non-essential drugs
- Avoid inflammatory compounds in foods such as dairy, wheat, legumes and soy
- Endeavour to obtain 7 – 8 hours of sleep each night, without sufficient sleep the body reduces repair and detox time
- Reduce stress, implement at least 10 - 20 minutes of meditation, affirmations or relaxation techniques daily
- Exercise! Yep, we all know this one – so find something you love! Without sufficient exercise in our lives, we are depriving ourselves of sweating out toxins, circulating the blood, building/ repair/maintenance of bones and muscle, the release of natural endorphins along with optimising our energy levels.
Try our nourishing Chicken and Wild Rice Bone Broth Soup
What you receive with the Wholesomeness 30 and 14 Day Reset Plans:
- $100 FREE gift card to use with Brisbane Natural Health
- FREE personal training session with Training Spot
- 1 whole week FREE classes with Training Spot
- FREE support guru to help you through your detox
- 14 or 30 days of prepared meals and snacks
- Eating only organic, pastured meats and fresh locally sourced vegetables
- Elimination of sugar, grains, dairy, legumes and preservatives
- Delivered 3 times per week fresh to your door – Monday, Wednesday, and Friday
- Choose Pickup or delivery to Brisbane
- Two Free Days if you book 30 Days
Please note: It is important that if you are pregnant and elderly detoxification is a big no-no, if you are suffering from a current health situation, discuss a program with your health professional prior to any detoxification implementations.
Image 1: Reference http://www.positiveandhealthy.com/2016/03/21/symptoms-shows-body-full-toxins/ Retrieved 21/07/16
(1) http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/030314p34.shtml, date retrieved 21/07/2016